Thursday, May 3, 2018

Reading Notes: Russian Folktales, Part B

The Two Friends

I'm not exactly sure why, but as I was reading this story, I was already coming up with a way to retell it. The two friends were so close that they promised each other to invite the other to his wedding, even if he had died. Which, since it was mentioned, it happened. But I kept imagining that maybe the two friends were close enough that they didn't need to be married, until the other died. And maybe then the still living friend went on to finally want to be married one day. He could then stop at his friend's grave, wanting to share the news but missing him. The dead friend rises and convinces his living friend to stay for a drink or two since they have missed each other so much. The living friend agrees, thankful to see his friend again, but then comes to find that three hundred years had passed by in his absence. 

I'll throw in more details, but I think that will make the story have more of an impact, in my opinion. 

(Wedding Seating on pxhere)


Bibliography: "The Two Friends" from Russian Fairy Tales by W. R. S. Ralston (1887). (Web Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...