Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Reading Notes: Bengal, Part A

I really liked the stories for this week, but I think my favorite was The Ghost-Brahman. This story reminded me a little of the Bible story where two women had babies, but one woman's baby died. She then stole the other baby, and their case went before some king. He declared the baby should be cut in half , and half given to each mother. The fake mother complied, but the real mother pleaded that the baby should remain unharmed and given to the fake mother. The king saw her as the true mother and gave her the baby back. The Ghost-Brahman story was different from this in that nothing was going to be split up, but similar in that an impostor stole something and in answering/completing a task a certain way, they were found out to be the fake.

I have a feeling this sort of story may be found else where in the world, and I think it is an interesting plot to follow. Maybe when I rewrite a story this week I will rewrite this one using this plot device.I liked the persistent Brahman and think that would be someone I might focus on.

(Folk-tales of Bengal on wikimedia)

Bibliography: Folk-Tales of Bengal by the Rev. Lal Behari Day, with illustrations by Warwick Goble (1912). (Web Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...