Friday, February 16, 2018

Week 5 Story: Riddle Me This


Riddle Me This
(click the link to read!)

(Calvary Cemetery, Queens, New York on Wikipedia)

Let me know your result in the comments, if you'd like!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: This week I wanted to re-tell a few of the riddles from the Twenty-Two goblins unit. Because of my Project, I have been learning how to use Twinery to create branching stories, so I thought this was the perfect practice. 

In the original stories, there is a King who is sent by a monk to bring a body containing a goblin back. The King gets the body, but the goblin tells him riddles. If the king answers correctly, the goblin goes back to his tree. The king repeats this cycle, you guessed it, twenty-two times. The last riddle stumps the King, and he is finally able to continue. In the original story, the goblin warns the king that the monk will try to kill him to gain power, and advises the king on how to kill the monk instead. In my interactive story, I took those parts out because it was getting a little long. 

Bibliography: Sanskrit Vetālapañcaviṃśati translated by Arthur Ryder

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you did a Twine! This is great! I will put this in the announcements tomorrow as a very cool thing to share. And it works: MY HEAD EXPLODED. Ha ha ha. You might want to make it more clear that people need to click that link above the image to play the game. It will be so fun that they can tell you in the comments if their head exploded or not. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun to make! I added something so hopefully it'll be more clear to click the link!

      Delete
  2. Hi Oliver!
    This was such a unique way in retelling the story! I'm very impressed in your Twine. However, my head exploded when I went through your riddles. I was a little confused on what the "right" answer was, but I guess thats the point of riddles. It's meant to test your brain. I look forward to reading other stories you post as well as potential twines! This was such a fun way to read the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Oliver,
    This was a really cool way of telling the story! I loved the creativity and the color scheme you used. The only thing I missed was your retelling of the story, because I felt like it was very similar to the Untextbook's copy of Twenty-Two Goblins. I would have loved to see a twist in the tale, or a new riddle. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHhh! What an amazing storytelling device... I'm certainly stealing this for the future. I love how the colors of the background matched the mood of the piece... it made it all the more creepy and eerie. I also really appreciate that you devoted a good amount of time to the summary in your Author's Note. That really aided me as the reader in understanding where you're coming from with your re-telling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Oliver! This was so cool!! And very unexpected! I'm very bad at riddles, but always up for the challenge to try them. It sounds like you're very creative, this was the first twine I've seen. The author's note helped explain the point of it all and really tied it together. Great job and can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...