Thursday, January 11, 2018

My Favorite Place

I had to take a minute to decide on my favorite place. My first thought was one of the caves I have visited in my life, or maybe down by the beach, but I ultimately chose New Orleans as my current favorite place. When I was growing up in central Mississippi, New Orleans was only 3 hours away, making it a fantastic and, relatively, convenient place to take a day trip. Even as early as 4 years old, I fell in love with the colorful, musical city.
                                             
(New Orleans Skyline by Antrell Williams on flickr)

Even though I moved to Oklahoma in 2013, my love affair with the vibrant city continues. Now that I'm older and going to New Orleans is more of an ordeal, I have learned to really appreciate everything the city has to offer. My favorite experiences have been visiting different museums like the WWII museum, Audubon Butterfly Garden & Insectarium, and the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas. Whether I get to visit the city for a day or a week, I am sure to love every second of fun, food, and scenery. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how great that you got to New Orleans when you were little, Oliver! As an adult, I found its magic completely captivating (I lived in Nashville for a while, and went down to visit a few times; a friend lived there)... my favorite was the streetcars. If I had encountered the streetcars as a kid, I probably would have wanted to stay there forever and never leave! Of course New Orleans is also a place with stories and legends of its own; do you know about Lafcadio Hearn? Fascinating person, and New Orleans was one of the places he obsessed about: Wikipedia: Lafcadio Hearn ... you might want to explore his work to see if that is a project you might be interested in for class. He lived in New Orleans in the 1870s/1880s.... and then he moved to Japan! An unusual life and an unusual author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read over the Wikipedia for Hearn and I feel hooked! He definitely had an unusual life and I plan to find out more about it! Thank you for recommending him to me.

      Delete
    2. Recommending books... and, even better, free online books ... is one of the great pleasures of being an online instructor! :-)

      Delete

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...