Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Reading Notes: Myth-Folklore Anthology

The Indian Who Wrestled a Ghost by Katherine Berry Judson (1913)

(Campfire Flames by Sam Howzit)

I liked this story a lot. I enjoyed the length, the narrative format, and how there was a little lesson at the end about always believing ghosts. There were times at the beginning that I wondered where the story was going, but because it was relatively short, I didn't have to wonder for long.

Pygmalion translated by Tony Kline (2000)


I, like many others, have heard the story of Pygmalion before. I chose to include it here because out of this week's readings, I like the storytelling style here the best. I like how there was a lot of details that helped create a more vivid and complete image in my mind. The way things were worded made the whole tone of the story seem very soft, like I knew there would be a happy ending just from word choice alone. 

Aesop's Fables: The Lion by Joseph Jacobs (1894)


I liked this little anthology of lion-related fables a lot. One of my favorite things about them is that, despite being all very short, they convey very clear lessons that are stated at the end of each fable. My personal favorite was The Lion and the Statue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...