Monday, January 22, 2018

Looking At Reading Options

As I'm sure my choices for this blog post will soon show, I am a sucker for classic European stories. Stories that have been told time and time again over generations are some of the most fun to learn about because I get to look at all of the different versions of a single story and get a more complete understanding of them. However, that's not to say I don't love finding new stories to read. For this blog post, I chose the reading unit of the Brothers Grimm (Ashliman) and the stories of Robin Hood and the Twelve Dancing Princesses. 



(The Seven Ravens by Herman Vogel on Wikimedia)

I'm looking forward to this reading unit because, while I have read some of the more famous Brothers Grimm stories, I have not heard of most of the ones in this unit. I picked one to read before hand, so I read "The Seven Ravens" and I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading more new stories in this unit. 



The Disney animated movie Robin Hood (1973) has been one of my favorite movies since childhood. At some point, I did realize that yes, Disney modified the story to be suitable for children, and no, Robin Hood was not actually a fox. However, I still love the story of Robin Hood and when I saw it in the European stories list, I got excited. I think I'll enjoy the longer version of the story more because I love knowing details and more back ground information. Also, I have read the first three or so stories from it already, and I like how there is a Youtube video singing the story on some of them. 


(Dancing Princesses page 328 on Wikimedia)

I'm really looking forward to reading this story because I have read a version of it before in early high school in the form of a Y.A. novel called Entwined by Heather Dixon. In Y.A. fashion, it focuses more on mystery and romance, but from what I remember, I enjoyed it. I do want to read the original story, though, so I will actually know what happens in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...