Monday, February 5, 2018

Feedback Strategies: Feedforward and Praise


I liked this article about the idea of "feedforward" a lot! Even reading the short overview of feedforward on the assignment page had me looking forward to finding out more. Reading what Goldsmith had found in his studies did not surprise me, but I was surprised that I had never heard of this before. Feedforward is the actually helpful sort of "constructive criticism" that people can learn and better themselves from.

I liked all of the different information Goldsmith had gathered about how people felt about feedforward and why. From my own opinion, I think people take a more positive outlook on feedback when it involves suggestions about what they can change, instead of just honing in on what they did wrong. Feedforward is definitely what I'll be using in my life as much as possible from now on.

(Thumbs Up Icon on Wikimedia)

The Difference Between Praise and Feedback by Mindshift

When it comes to my opinions on praise and feedback, I agree with Carol Dweck. I think the growth mindset and switching to commenting on a child's processes rather than the outcome can be beneficial to children. It puts the positive reinforcement on enjoying yourself and working well, rather than just getting something "right." Though I do agree with Dweck, I do not necessarily completely disagree with Alfie Kohn. Kohn's point about praising children as "good boy/girl" when they do something like take out the trash can indeed impact a child's perception of their self worth.
He gives the trash example and says a child may later feel like they aren't a good kid if they don't take out the trash. 

However, I also don't think Kohn's ideas directly go against Dweck's. I think there is a middle ground of praising your child for partaking in their interests and doing a good job, without making your love seem "conditional" or "manipulative." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...