Monday, February 5, 2018

Topic Research: Dungeons and Dragons: Jumanji Edition

For my more in depth research I am looking more into the myths I would use in my D&D/Jumanji style story. In my last post about it, I specifically mentioned Sedna from Inuit mythology, and after looking deeper into Inuit mythology in general, I think I want that to be a theme throughout my story. In this post I will explore potential story points I might use.

Another thing I am thinking on is how I want to tell this story. I'm thinking more of a narrative style, full of details and such, because that's how describing things in D&D usually goes. For combat, though, I want to include something about the unpredictability of D&D because of rolling dice. I want to include some part of that mechanic in the storytelling, but I'm not sure what yet. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to let me know!

Now, on to the (potential) story.

Introduction

Our heroes will start off around a table at their regularly scheduled D&D game. Their goal that day is to find Sedna, the sea goddess, and appease her. They begin either a new campaign or part of their current campaign, when something odd happens and they are brought inside of the world they have created and now embody their characters.


Story #1

The first story would be about our party encountering Amarok from Inuit mythology. Amarok is a giant wolf trickster who with go after people who hunt alone at night. In my story I would have one character who is furious a their situation, storm off into the woods one night and, of course, encounter Amarok.

Story #2

After the night where one party member turns into a ghost, the party sets off to the nearest sea shore, since they know Sedna lives at the bottom of the ocean. Once they get there, they are at a loss as how to get to her. This is where Qalupalik comes and takes a member of the party.

There was actually a stop-motion film about Qalupalik made to tell the myth that I found really interesting.

Story #3

Finally on a ship, the remaining party members have issues with an Ahkiyyini, a skeleton spirit who can wreck ships by playing their music. Also in this story, the members meet Anguta, the father of Sedna and the one who ferries souls into the underworld. Towards the end of this story, leading into the next one, they also meet Qailertetang who will play an important role.

Story #4

In this story, our members finally make their way to Sedna and attempt to resolve what they traveled there to do. Once everything is done, for better or for worse, the session ends.

Ending

After the campaign is finally over, the players seem to black out and just be back at the table. I intend to write a short sort of...afterword to wrap everything up.


Now that that's done! This post was actually hard to write because I wanted to lay our all of my ideas, and I actually went back and deleted a lot because I don't want to give too much away (or commit to anything haha). I hope it all made sense and I am really looking forward to writing this!!!

(Blue D20s by Me)


2 comments:

  1. Hi Oliver!
    This story idea sounds really cool. I love the incorporation of Inuit mythology into into a fantasy story, since a lot of those tend to be more very Eurocentric. I actually don't know that much about Dungeons and Dragons, having never played it, but I'm a fan of it in theory and I think having a Jumanji type situation with that type of game is a fantastic concept. As far as including the game mechanics, the only thing I can think of is having some sort of cursed dice that brought them into the game, that they still have to roll as they progress through the game world. idk if that fits with what you were going for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Oliver,

    After reading your Storybook brainstorming, I am glad that you are pursuing the Jumanji theme! I also considered a Jumanji or Zathura inspired project, but ultimately decided to move in a different direction. I'll definitely be living vicariously through your Storybook for the rest of the semester! So far, your notes on the project remind me of the first season of Stranger Things; perhaps you can take character inspiration from Mike and Eleven...

    ReplyDelete

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...