Monday, March 12, 2018

Week 8 Review

A review of a review week? Absolutely.

Graphic

(Bluetooth from Present & Correct Twitter, from the MythFolklore Class Blogspot)

I thought this graphic and the Wikipedia page about Bluetooth was interesting and kind of hilarious. Who would think to link a Viking King and modern technology? Jim Kardach, that's who. The Viking King Harald Bluetooth united two tribes so they could come together to be one cohesive kingdom. Kardach was reading a book about this when the technology to link phones to computers was being developed. He suggested the name Bluetooth as an allusion to the Viking king, because he saw the linkage of computer to phone as similar to what Harald Bluetooth did with the different countries. 

Then, using a bind rune of H and B, for Harald Bluetooth's initials, was the icing on the cake. Now it is the iconic symbol for Bluetooth. 

Video

How to Build a Fiction World - Kate Messner on Youtube

I chose this video because I am constantly learning new techniques to build fantasy/fiction worlds. The idea has always interested me since I was a child with a huge imagination. As I get older, I find ways I can use worlds, such as in storytelling for this class or even when I am being the DM for my D&D group. This video gave a list of things to consider and flush out, some of which I definitely forget in the world making process. After watching the video, I have a burst of inspiration to go create something fantastic! I definitely recommend it, and the longer TedEd lesson that even gives helpful "worksheets" to build your own world! 

I plan to use this lesson for myself, and maybe I will document what I come up with!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Oliver! I had no clue that bluetooth came from the vikings age. Thats super cool and fascinating! I really liked that you included the making of the bluetooth symbol as well as a video. Maybe if you create something from this video inspiration, you can include it in another post for others to see! I'm glad this video helped spark your inspiration, and I hope you use it in future assignments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Oliver! World building is intense, and it's neat that there are resources out there for it, so thank you for sharing this video. Additionally, it's interesting that the Bluetooth logo was so heavily inspired by vikings, I honestly never would have guessed. I always thought that bluetooth was just a name they came up with because it sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...