Thursday, April 26, 2018

Reading Notes: Dante's Inferno Unit, Part B

Satan, Judas, Brutus, and Cassius

Since beginning this unit, I have been looked forward to seeing how the different levels of Hell progressed and who or what would be at the very end. I figured it would be Satan himself, but I didn't expect him to have three heads and be a giant to giants. I also never imagined that he would be using his mouths to chew on some other famous historical people. I think it's interested that the three men were all infamous for their betrayals. I wish that the story would have made some comment about why specifically they were there, but if I had to guess it would be that. 

Once I got to the end and was a little surprised, it made me think, "What was I expecting?" and I am not sure I really have an answer to that. After finishing this unit I'm a little concerned with writing a story for it just because I have no idea what I would re-imagine Hell to be like...but, I guess we'll see. 

(Inferno by Gustave Dore on Wikimedia)

Bibliography: "Canto 34: Satan" from Dante's Divine Comedy, translated by Tony Kline (2002). (Web Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...