Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Reading Notes: Dante's Inferno Unit, Part A

The First Circle: Limbo

Before this, I had never read any of Dante's Inferno. I had heard about it plenty of times with it being a classic, of course. What surprised me pretty early on was the concept of the first circle of Hell. From what I have understood growing up, limbo is an in between space where souls go when they can't go to heaven or hell. But, in this story, it is the place where good people, who died before Christianity was a thing, spend the rest of eternity. It just strikes me as sort of unfair. They have to live here just because Christ hadn't come about yet? And yes, a few were saved, but only a select few. I think I would rewrite this to be completely different just because I really don't think this would be...good? fair? right?

(Foggy Lake Mist on pixaby)

Bibliogprahy: "Canto 4: Limbo" from Dante's Divine Comedy, translated by Tony Kline (2002). (Web Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...