Monday, April 23, 2018

Tech Tip: Adding External Links in Twine 2.0

Hello and welcome to my second Tech Tip involving Twinery.org!

Since my first story using twine, I have been trying to figure out how to add external links, or link that when clicked will take you to an outside webpage. I wanted to use this to revise my stories and add in links to my other stories, for those who want to read them in a very continuous manner. When looking at different websites, including Twine's own Wiki (lightly outdated) I could not find anything that worked.

Finally, I found a Twine Help Forum (found here) with a problem post asking for help regarding external links. From this post, I finally code the line of code I needed to create an external link:

(link-repeat: "LINK NAME HERE")[(open-url: "http://insertyourlinkhere.com"]
I edited the code taken from the forum so you can better see where things would go, such as what you want the clickable link to say and where to put the url you want to go to.

This can go in a twine passage along with everything else. Here is an example of what it can look like from an editing point of view:

(Screen shot of a passage where I used an external link to a Dice Roller)

This took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out, but now that I have it, I plan to go back and edit my stories to include links back to my Story Web page, as well as links that lead straight into the other stories. 

I hope this helps someone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...