Monday, April 30, 2018

Week 14 Review: Things I Forget To Do

Breathe

The graphic I chose for this week is the gif of a clock with markers to tell you to breathe in for three seconds then out for three seconds. This is really relevant to the week I had. I felt like I constantly had a million and one things going on, and sometimes I forget to watch my breathing. Another technique I like to use is in through your nose for three seconds and our through your mouth for five seconds. This is something I learned while taking the Sho Hei Ryu style of karate for six and a half years. It helps regulate your breathing and pulse! 

(from the Slow: Three Seconds HEART post)

Sleep

While I was growing up, my mom has always stressed that it was important that I sleep enough. I always took her word for it. She's my mom and it felt nice to sleep. This video, by Claudia Aguirre explains some of the reasons behind why people need to sleep. It was really interesting to listen to and watch, especially learning about the guy who stayed awake for 11 days in 1965. I think my longest record for staying awake is two days, and I definitely felt horrible before I finally got some sleep. I used to use an app called SleepBot that tracked how long I slept, how much I moved around, and if I talked in my sleep. It was pretty cool, and I'm not really sure why I stopped using it. I do want to start keeping better track of my sleep from now on though. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi again Oliver! I really needed to read your Week 14 Review: Things I Forget To Do. Your clock gif that shows you how to breathe is really useful for when I am stressed or get anxiety when I think I am about to graduate. Or when I think of all the things I need to get done before I graduate. Slowing and stopping long enough to breathe in and out with the clock really helps me calm down so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Oliver!

    I love that you included this graphic. I have one super similar saved on my phone and I open it up all the time. I have anxiety triggered by academic stuff mostly and these little graphics help so much. Controlling my breathing is the best way to help me come out of an anxiety attack. Sometimes just following these for a minute makes me realize how anxious and stressed I was for no reason.

    ReplyDelete

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...