Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Reading Notes: Russian Folktales, Part A

Emilian the Fool

This was my favorite story from the first part of this unit. The fool, who everyone treated badly, came upon good luck and was granted the power to have whatever he said happen. That seems like a Very powerful thing to me. I liked how at first he only used it to do the things the wives had asked of him. He never did anything bad or harmed anyone. I'd definitely like to have a power like that. 

For re-telling this story, I might make it so someone keeps this gift a secret and uses it for a long long time. Maybe by using this gift they create all sorts of things, creatures, anything! That might be fun! Maybe the pike plays a larger role than only granting the gift. Maybe the person keeps the pike somewhere and has to return to it to continue their powers. Then I could explore what happens if they forget or cannot return to the pike. 


(Northern Pike on flickr)

Bibliography: "Emilian the Fool" from Russian Fairy Tales by W. R. S. Ralston (1887). (Web Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...