Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Time Strategies: Battling My Procrastination Problem with Spoons

Scheduling

Even though I have only been working on this class for a little over a week, I have already re-planned my schedule. I realized that I tend to do more work on this class while I am actually at work (don't worry, I only do it when there is downtime and I am allowed to!). Reworking my schedule has given me a more clear idea of when I will be realistically working on my stories so I can be more prepared.

Speaking of scheduling, I think the way this course is structured and how we approach scheduling is fantastic. I love how we are encouraged to work ahead; it makes it so you don't have to worry about Canvas deadlines and you can really work on your own schedule. I wish more classes worked this way.

Time Strategies

Going into this assignment, I was thinking "Oh no...". This is absolutely because I am a huge procrastinator. I have some of the worst time management skills you have ever seen. Most of this is due to the (re: sarcastic) wonderful mindset that is the snowball effect. My therapist walked me through the snowball effect I go through, most often when I am faced with writing a paper. I start with the small thought of "I feel so nervous about this, what if I don't do well?" which spirals and spirals until I hit "I might as well not even try, I'm going to flunk out and be homeless and then die." That's extreme, and I know that, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ anxiety, am I right? However, I picked three articles to read that I thought would offer some insight into my procrastination problem.

The Important Habit of Just Starting by Jory Mackay was a great read for me. One of my biggest problems is definitely when I just don't start my projects. I get so overwhelmed at the idea of messing up, that I don't even want to try. Mackay lays out some strategies for how to get over that hump. I really like the idea of the "just start" mindset over the "must finish." Starting may be daunting, but when you haven't started, it's much easier than finishing.

How to Beat Procrastination by Caroline Webb was the second article I read. Her points lined up well with Mackay's article, and it was nice that they sort of built off of each other for me. Her tips about visualizing and pre-committing publicly seem like really helpful ways to overcome mental roadblocks.

I also read and enjoyed Increase Your Creative Output With 14 Time Management Tips Just for Creatives by Amanda Oliver. Although some of her numbers were off in her list, he tips about managing energy and working when you work best are things I am going to try to incorporate into my life. Managing energy is something I've thought of before with regards to the Spoon Theory by Christine Miserandino. Miserandino's theory she came up with puts energy in terms of spoons and a quantifiable way to look at how much energy someone has throughout the day, and how people spend energy/spoons on tasks and need to recharge before they can do more. Her theory is more specifically for people living with chronic illness, but the ideas of learning how to spend not just your time but your energy well are ideas that can help in multiple situations.
(Assorted Spoons by Lynn Greyling on publicdomainpictures.net)

1 comment:

  1. I think the fact that you've been working for over a week on this class shows that you'll give your procrastination a run for its money if it thinks it'll get at you this semester. I've been working ahead too, and I can tell you that so far it's been a huge relief to get the work out of the way. It's also a nice change of pace from my other course work, so that's also a good motivator. I hope you keep your momentum up until you get those 410 points, and until then I look forward to reading your stories!

    ReplyDelete

Famous Last Words: Not the End All, Be All

This is my last post for Mythology-Folklore, and honestly it’s a little sad. This week I took advantage of the extra week of reading and wri...